Last night, my nephew graduated from high school. Other than the fact that I felt old, it was a time for celebration for a great achievement. I won’t go on and on about his honors and accolades, but I felt the need to celebrate this in the blog world. With that in mind, I decided to find out what was happening in the world during the year he was born – 1994.
In the world of sports:
- the Dallas Cowboys defeated the Buffalo Bills in Super Bowl XXVIII.
- no one won the World Series because a strike cancelled the season.
- George Foreman became boxing’s oldest heavyweight champion.
- Miguel Indurain won one of my favorite events, the Tour de France.
- Dale Earnhardt won the Winston Cup Championship.
- NBC debuted a couple of new shows called ER and Friends.
- The Game Show Network made its debut.
- O.J. Simpson got in a white Bronco and led police on a slow-speed chase.
- Star Trek: The Next Generation ended its successful run.
At the movies:
- The Lion King defeated Forrest Gump as the highest grossing film.
- Forrest Gump got revenge by running away with the Academy Award for Best Film.
- Telly “Who loves ya, baby?” Savalas passed away.
- Cameron Diaz made her first film appearance in The Mask.
The literary world saw:
- Stephen King publish Insomnia.
- Kenzaburo Oe won the Nobel Prize for Literature.
- Bruce Springsteen had a hit with Streets of Philadelphia.
- Justin Bieber was born.
- Kurt Cobain died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
- Cream, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Etta James, the Doors and others were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
On a more serious note:
- Hurricane Gordon killed over 1,000 people.
- USAir Flight 427 crashed into a hillside in Pennsylvania, leading to the longest accident investigation in aviation history.
- Nelson Mandela became president of South Africa.
- Saddam Hussein was president of Iraq.
- Yasser Arafat became president of the Palestinian Authority.
And, that’s the way it was. Congratulations to Weston on his graduation!